Rome, Georgia History
Welcome to Rome, Georgia located at the confluence of the Oostanaula,
Etowah and Coosa Rivers in the northwestern part of the state. Rome
was founded in 1830-34 at this location in order to take advantage of the
river power and wealth of minerals to be found nearby. The name of
Rome was chosen for the town because, like its sister city in Italy, it
was located on seven hills.
Rome soon became a major river port between Gadsden, Alabama, and
Calhoun, Georgia. A railroad hub was later added to the main line
to Atlanta, which resulted in Rome’s becoming a major transportation hub
in Northwest Georgia. The building of a foundry allowed Rome to become
a major industrial, as well as a transportation city.
During the War Between The States, Rome was a medical center and
wounded from both sides were treated in Rome’s churches and other buildings.
In May of 1864, Rome fell to Union forces under William T. Sherman during
the Atlanta campaign, and the city was burned to the ground.
After the war, Rome was rebuilt and once again became a major city
in trade and industry in Northwest Georgia. Today, Rome is one of
the larger cities in Georgia, with a population in excess of 90,000; it
continues to be a major transportation and manufacturing hub, and its three
rivers now provide a source for drinking water, manufacturing, and recreation.